Thursday, March 27, 2014

Donut Try To Take My Donut Pan: Pretty Palette Of Donuts + Recipe


Gosh darn it I loved making these colourful pretty little gems. I used my newfound and trusted donut recipe to make these in my donut baking pans. Mauve, peachy rose and mint green tinted vanilla milk glaze with a light dusting of rainbow sprinkles. The lovely Tamara Taggart asked me if I would make donuts for her for a photoshoot for the Glitter Guide - how could I say no to such a sweet and beautiful lady??

One of my Instagram followers noted that the donuts look like Froot Loops! Made me want a bowl of crunchy fake-fruity Froot Loops instantly, and it gave me a great idea for a future donut flavour! So fun! I have a sugar problem!! Oh and here's the donut recipe again after this photo.


Vanilla Nutmeg Cake Donuts
(recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour)


Yield: 1 dozen donuts + 1dozen mini donuts
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/3 cup golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 2/3s cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk

For the glaze:
1 cup of icing sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 teaspoons whole milk
Sprinkles (optional)
Gel colours in fuchsia, purple and green

(I made three bowls of this glaze using the same amounts so I could tint each bowl with a different colour - you need to make a decent amount of glaze for donut dipping otherwise the dipping concept doesn't quite work).

Make it!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil your donut baking pans.

1. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, oil and sugars until smooth and creamy.
2. Add the eggs, mixing to combine.
3. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla extract.
4. Add the flour into the wet mixture, alternating with the milk until combined. Do not overmix.
5. Fill your donut pans 3/4 full with the donut batter. I used a piping bag with pretty nice results.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not overbake!
7. Remove donuts from pans and let cool on wire racks.
8. Meanwhile, make the glaze: whisk together icing sugar, vanilla extract, milk and desired food colouring until smooth.
9. Once donuts are cool, dunk the donuts into the glaze. Add sprinkles if so desired!

Imagine showing up at your next birthday party with a big old plate of these? Best friends would be made for life. Or at least the duration of the party.

Happy snacking, cake pals! (donut pals??)

xo Lyndsay

9 comments:

thimble said...

so cute and yummy looking!

Jan Halvarson said...

they look so delicious!

Tan said...

These are adorable! My gosh I'd want to eat the whole lot

Coco Cake Land said...

@thimble - thanks so much!

@jan - aw thank you jan! xo

@tan - thanks tan! yeah i kind of crammed a bunch of this mini ones in my mouth! oops... :)

Lindsey said...

These are so adorable and look so yummyI I can't wait to make them for my little ones! I love treats that are both cute and delicious and these look perfect for both!

Letuu Colors said...

¡It`s awesome!
See my blog please and coment!
Thank you very much!

unpocodecrema.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

These look so good! I love the colours you picked for the glazes. Such sweet pastels.

Coco Cake Land said...

@lindsey - aw thanks! :)

@letuu colors - thank you! i will check it out!

@lisa - thank you lisa! i just adore the colours too... :)

Kumiko Ide said...

OH MY GOSH. I want to reach into my computer and nom on everything on this screen.