Friday, February 7, 2014

Glazed + Confused: Donut Try To Deny The Power Of Donuts


I got donut pans for my birthday in November and I've been dying to find time to use them! Today I got smart and decided to test them out using leftover vanilla cake batter... and it totally worked! Perfect, adorable baked donut cakes in those wonderfully pleasing puffy circle shapes with that missing "hole." 

I made a simple glaze from heavy cream, icing sugar and pure vanilla extract and it turned out nicely thick and creamy with a sweet milk flavour. Use your favorite cake recipe and see if it turns out! 

Baking note: I used a piping bag with an open tip to pipe the batter into the donut pan - seemed like the least messy way to do it! 

My donut obsession has been cranked to eleven now - going to test out a bunch of donut recipes, can't wait! Anyone have a good one? Would love to hear -leave me a link! 

In the meantime, here's the simple glaze recipe. I mixed the glaze in a bowl and dipped my cooled donuts right into it. This glaze is just as good dripping down a beautiful bundt cake, too. 

VANILLA CREAM DONUT GLAZE  

You Will Need: 

1/3 cup of heavy cream (33% milk fat) plus more to dilute if needed
2 cups of icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
A toothpick's tip of pink gel food colour (optional) Rainbow sprinkles

Make it!

Whisk together all ingredients until creamy and smooth. Have more cream on hand to dilute the mixture if you find it too thick to use as a glaze. It sets up fast and easily and will glaze a dozen donuts. The fun part is also mixing and matching your donut toppings - I used rainbow sprinkles and fresh blackberries!

Have fun, cake pals!

xo Lyndsay 

6 comments:

Jan Halvarson said...

Yum! So cute Lyndsay!

Tan said...

Oh my god these are incredible. I recently got donut pans and have been dying to use them. You're inspiring me!

Coco Cake Land said...

@jan - thank you jan!! xo

@tan - thanks so much! hooray - you should, they are so fun - can't wait to make more! ^__^

Anne @ Sugar Baby Bakes said...

I'm so glad you decided to break in the donut pan - they look amazing!

Coco Cake Land said...

Thank you Anne!! :)

Alat Dapur said...

Donuts always remind me of childhood. This is a cake that I always bring to school ...