Friday, July 17, 2009

Vanilla Buttercream Frosted Chocolate Raspberry Cake!






We had a lovely BBQ in the warm evening air last night in our backyard, in honour of cousin Randy's birthday and visit to Vancouver. Our neighbors brought over a gorgeous salad fresh from their garden, including edible flowers--it was so pretty! I BBQed some freerange organic chicken from the poultry place down the street, and we grilled vegetables, Tofurkey bratwurst for the vegetarians and I made an ice cold sangria with fresh summer berries. For dessert, I made the cutest little rusticly-frosted cake-- dark chocolate, using Dutch process cocoa powder, with contrasting white vanilla buttercream and filled with raspberry preserves and topped with fresh raspberries. I LOVE the contrast look of chocolate and vanilla! The cake turned out lovely and the party was mellow and fun. I love summer, *sigh*...! and I just really love frosting buttercream cakes. They make me super happy!

4 comments:

Justin said...

that cake is so simple and gorgeous, and i love that it's chocolate on the inside... like a surprise

Jacinda said...

Beautiful photos! love the look of the un-smooth buttercream. So yummy! Reminds me of another of my favorite decorators, Sarah Magid.

http://sarahmagidcakes.blogspot.com

Coco Cake Land said...

--thank you justin! i love the surprise element too...!

--jacinda, thanks for sending sarah magid's blog-- i have seen her work before, so cute and cool! :)

SweetThingsTO said...

I love the contrast of chocolate and vanilla buttercream also!