Monday, October 6, 2008

Summer of '69




I could look at old photos forever. I just love them. Especially pictures of my parents! They were married in a church in Vancouver, with the first reception at Westin Bayshore and another one at Marco Polo, a now-gone fancy Chinese restaurant in Vancouver, with 500 guests! Check out that wedding cake. Royal icing madness, with dense fruit cake filling. Although I'm pretty sure most of the cake was a fakie for looks, with the actual serving cake likely in the hotel kitchen! I gotta ask my mom. Does anyone do the traditional wedding fruit cake with white icing anymore? My mom's bridesmaids wore butter yellow, with floppy yellow bows on their heads. Hmm, I'd like to try making the old-school fruit cake wedding cake. Maybe for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary? Or would they prefer the modern, trendy and adorable cupcake? Suddenly I have a deep interest in recreating an old-school cake...

3 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

Hi
I enjoyed looking at the photos :) In Malta the traditional wedding cake is either a rich fruit cake or an almond cake.both covered in white icing :) Cupcakes are not popular here.

Taracrofty said...

Poh poh in the background! Right? Gorgeous.

Love me <3 said...

I think it's better to recreate their old wedding cake on their 50th anniversary, but that would be very thoughtful - knowing that you took the time and effort to study their old pictures and attempting is more than enough.